Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Paintball Returning To TV?

Talfryn

The Attritionist
May 14, 2010
West Sussex
The thing is, I think that paintball and tv is a possibility in places such as the USA where there are hundreds of channels that I wouldn't describe as being mainstream (just take Wayne's World for example ;) ), whilst in the UK we have less channels so 'time on air' is much more valued so only the best and most popular things will actually make the cut and be broadcast. Paintball will never be broadcast on channels like Sky Sports and will only ever be broadcast as an entertainment program and not as a serious sport (though i wish it would be).

Roquey

Nov 3, 2008
If not im sure you may be able to find some webcast of it or thatmay on be special occasions, just hook your pc to your tv and do it that way! then its paintball on TV!

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
People seem so negative with "it wont work" and "been there done that" these attitudes aren't going to help. yer its been tried before etc etc but why not keep trying? shall we all just give up and keep this sport "samll" or should people strive to expand it?

Personally i would love to see it on TV, and it would work for TV, i mean the lists upon lists of utter cr@p on TV is crazy, so chilling with a beer and watching some paintball sounds good to me. :cool:

The reason a lot of people are negative [inc me] regarding this is because, yes, we have seen this probably over 30 times before in different guises and it always provokes the same reaction in people who aren't really aware of the history of paintball on TV.

They therefore get all excited, ramble on about paintball making the big time blah, blah, blah but the reality is vastly different.

You call it negativity, I call it pragmatism ... I'm afraid there is no amount of optimism that will turn this situation around as things stand ..... I suppose the pragmatists [negative talkers] in our midsts serve a purpose in putting things straight with people who get all excited about something that's just not gonna happen ... sorry, Soul Doubt, it's just the way things are mate ... you can either face up to the truth of the matter or indulge yourself in delusional behaviours....your call mate!

Ellis90

London Attrition
Nov 7, 2008
south
this has been said, but with nearly all sports (televised or not) there is a centre of action, or a "focal point" as robbo said. with paintball most people have no idea what is going on, the only reason we understand is we are or where all players. of course all you guys are going to want to watch paintball on tv, but how are you going to make it appeal to the other 99.99% of viewers?

the thing is paintballl is really simple, its just 5 guys trying to shoot the other 5 guys on the other side of the field. some film makers such as monkey with a gun, and to an extent action pursuit games have found ways to make paintball more watchable, such as using slow motion, and certain angles that make it more viewer friendly, i dont believe at huge extra cost*. couple this with good editing and advertising- marketing as an "extreme sport" and a well run system like the PSP webcast was before it went under; with a stats system etc, and i think you have a very watchable programme. obviously this is not practical for a live programme, but maybe a show put together after an event with decent commentary explaining what is happening.

as for target audience, i think its huge. paintball appeals to nearly all guys in some shape or form. nearly everyone i speak to outside of the sport say that it sounds awesome, and they would like to try it. i think its great teams like XSV are shooting less expensive guns, showing that paintball can be more affordable, even if it is still expensive. if you think of some of the things on TV, bowls for example- a ton of stuff on TV is a lot more boring.

however all this costs money, of which everyone knows isnt much floating around.. but i think there is at least potential.

*a small example could be for every player to have a barrel camera to show certain moves such as bunkering someone. this wouldnt cost much at, i have a cheap one i got for £10. thats about the same as a barrel sock for goodness sake!

Reactions: Talfryn

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
Paintball on TV - that's going to be frikkin sweet.
I don't know why all these guys are getting down on it. I mean, how could it possibly not be a success? Once it's on the telly, we're in like flynn, right?

This time next year, we'll all be millionaires!

Reactions: Robbo

Fish

CF6
May 15, 2006
Central London
Paintball on TV - that's going to be frikkin sweet.
I don't know why all these guys are getting down on it. I mean, how could it possibly not be a success? Once it's on the telly, we're in like flynn, right?

This time next year, we'll all be millionaires!
Standing on a balcony with T.I.T written above in giant letters, right...? :rolleyes:

Talfryn

The Attritionist
May 14, 2010
West Sussex
this has been said, but with nearly all sports (televised or not) there is a centre of action, or a "focal point" as robbo said. with paintball most people have no idea what is going on, the only reason we understand is we are or where all players. of course all you guys are going to want to watch paintball on tv, but how are you going to make it appeal to the other 99.99% of viewers?

the thing is paintballl is really simple, its just 5 guys trying to shoot the other 5 guys on the other side of the field. some film makers such as monkey with a gun, and to an extent action pursuit games have found ways to make paintball more watchable, such as using slow motion, and certain angles that make it more viewer friendly, i dont believe at huge extra cost*. couple this with good editing and advertising- marketing as an "extreme sport" and a well run system like the PSP webcast was before it went under; with a stats system etc, and i think you have a very watchable programme. obviously this is not practical for a live programme, but maybe a show put together after an event with decent commentary explaining what is happening.

as for target audience, i think its huge. paintball appeals to nearly all guys in some shape or form. nearly everyone i speak to outside of the sport say that it sounds awesome, and they would like to try it. i think its great teams like XSV are shooting less expensive guns, showing that paintball can be more affordable, even if it is still expensive. if you think of some of the things on TV, bowls for example- a ton of stuff on TV is a lot more boring.

however all this costs money, of which everyone knows isnt much floating around.. but i think there is at least potential.

*a small example could be for every player to have a barrel camera to show certain moves such as bunkering someone. this wouldnt cost much at, i have a cheap one i got for £10. thats about the same as a barrel sock for goodness sake!
I'm gunna have to agree with Ellis 100% he has hit it spot on!!!

Stencil

pew pew
Sep 8, 2006
Yorkshire.
This is what happens when mainstream TV company's get there grubby mitts on paintball,Just be careful what you wish for
When i was 12, saw this (amazing) show on TV. The next weekend, i played Paintball for the first time. I'm sure a fair few others did the same. So what if the TV companies threw there jazz all over it?

Reactions: tiffyman

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
I saw the article on propaintball earlier today, but I think it's best to wait for an official announcement from the NPPL before we count our chickens.

There isn't much spare cash around nowadays, and I don't think the NPPL management would waste money on lost causes.

If Patrick Sphorer, Derder or ETV are involved in the filming of it, it certainly wouldn't be boring.

Reactions: foster90