Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Would this work - Self powered fan

Xmini-ballerX

London Tigers & Team GB
Nov 15, 2008
I have searched everywhere in hope that this idea hasn't already been thought up but luckily I couldn't, so here goes...

My idea is quite simple but I am not to sure if it would work. If you have a fan , a electromagnetic generator and a place to store the energy (Cell) the fan could power itself. If the fan spins that will generate electricity to power the fan and charge up the cell. The first time you start it up you may have to turn it by hand until it has generated enough electricity.After this , upon when you wish to turn on the fan the cell would power the fan until it starts creating enough energy to power itself.

If this works I may consider building a prototype.

This may be a stupid idea, but I know there are some science nuts on this forum so I thought I would post it up , any feedback would be helpful thanks.

I have searched everywhere in hope that this idea hasn't already been thought up but luckily I couldn't, so here goes...

My idea is quite simple but I am not to sure if it would work. If you have a fan , a electromagnetic generator and a place to store the energy (Cell) the fan could power itself. If the fan spins that will generate electricity to power the fan and charge up the cell. The first time you start it up you may have to turn it by hand until it has generated enough electricity.After this , upon when you wish to turn on the fan the cell would power the fan until it starts creating enough energy to power itself.

If this works I may consider building a prototype.

This may be a stupid idea, but I know there are some science nuts on this forum so I thought I would post it up , any feedback would be helpful thanks.
It wouldnt work even in theory.

If you put energy in to turn the fan, you cant get it back out again at all, let alone 100% of the energy you puit in.

Add to that, Your fan, generator and cell are all massive sources for loss of energy.

To make something that turns for a long time you need to minimise air resistance for a start.
Making something that turns forever is called perpetual motion and its impossible (on earth).

Potter Loki

Mar 18, 2007
Essex
It wouldnt work even in theory.

If you put energy in to turn the fan, you cant get it back out again at all, let alone 100% of the energy you puit in.

Add to that, Your fan, generator and cell are all massive sources for loss of energy.

To make something that turns for a long time you need to minimise air resistance for a start.
Making something that turns forever is called perpetual motion and its impossible (on earth).
I remeber they tried to make one on mythbusters using a load of gas cylinders set up on a revolving jig, they were set up as like a mini ferris wheel, and filled with butane or something, each opposing cannister was joined by a hollow tube, as the sun heated the gas it would evaporate and move from one cylinder to the other, then cool and condense back down, which would turn the whole wheel and be used to generate power...in theory

obvs it failed miserably!

Using energy from the sun is a smart way to put energy back in to the system.
But what you have done is use energy from the sun to turn a windmill. You could remove the windmill altogether and get more energy out.

Interestingly the batteries themselves are one of the biggest sources of energy loss in this type of system.
You have galvanic, ohmic and charge efficiency losses. Self discharge and shelf life are long term concerns too.

With the governments focus on sources of energy that arent quite 'on tap' this poses a massive problem.

A solution I saw for storing the energy from wind turbines involved making the propellor blades into a hollow tube with weights inside.
As the blades turn, the weights are pulled to either end of the tube by gravity.
The air compressed in the tube is used to inflate massive undersea gas bags which are your store of energy.

Insanely complicated? Yes. More feasable than batteries? Certainly.

Xmini-ballerX

London Tigers & Team GB
Nov 15, 2008
Thanks for the reply people. I'm only 14 so don't the scientific know how . But I have thought have to make a electromagnetic generator more efficient ( This might not work also ) put magnets that repel each other in the inside so the turning magnet is "suspended" In mid air inside the generator ( Similar to the Maglev train[ Magnetic levitation]) so there would be no friction caused whilst it was spinning . would that work ?

mattmead

May 28, 2010
rainham essex
That's pretty much what brushless motors are I think mate. The magnetism is rotated by the electric poles which switch which creates a rotating magnetic force without any power/current touching the rotor at all. Infact nothing touching the rotor. So no lubrication needed. Ie why they last so long (please correct me if I'm wrong anyone) cheers

Thats not a brushless motor. In any electric motor the coil doesnt touch magnets.
The brushes are used to connect the coils in the right sequence. A brushless version typically the coil is still and the magnets are the rotating part. Reducing friction and increasing reliability.

Mini baller what you have described is a magnetic bearing. Used to reduce friction.
There are about 20 areas of serious efficiency loss in that system. By addressing one of the most minor ones you probably increased efficiency by a fraction of a percent.
Just another ninety five percent to go :D