• Yes, but shut up about it

Votes: 20 18.3%

• Total voters

Ant_UK_Refs

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2008
Tameside, Manchester
Lets try a bit of a scenario

Your the last player in your team, its 2 on 1 and this game gives you the championship. Your shooting left when you feel a shot, from the right, hit you just below your pack as you take the player on the left.

Do you;

a) Hand up and walk - it's a fair shot
b) Immediately spin and cover that side while asking for a check as it might not of burst - your now gambling on the reaction of the ref versus the player
c) Spin and start shooting - hoping its far enough behind your pods that nobodys going to spot it
If you're the last player left on your team, then there's gonna be a ref either side of you mate, but obviously not too close to hinder you. So with that in mind, the moment you spin, you cost your team the championship, a season's hard graft,a gajillion quids worth of sponsorship, and a very nice big paperweight!!! Also bear in mind that any field Ultimate can overrule the call of any ref on his/her field, whether it goes in your favour or against, so don't always assume you're gonna get away with it. Having said that, if a player tries it and gets away with it, then expect a **** storm in the pits from the opposition.

As for a ref carrying a pistol, totally unworkable. That would only help the more unscrupulous refs, and they are out there, in screwing a team over. Which in turn would lead to a ref with a scenario pistol up against a player with a ramping high end marker. Which would lead up to lots of spilled claret, sh!t being flung all over these great forum boards, more claret being spilled the next time the players and sh!tty refs met, and a view of paintball that would be very unhealthy indeed to the player wanting to take the next step in their playing career, and ridiculously damaging to the image of paintball as a whole, which has always struggled to shake off the "wannabe Rambo" tag in the eyes of the general public. But...as the Great Clint "Cleetus" Moore said..."it's not war, it's paintball". We understand that, but Joe Public don't

Ant_UK_Refs

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2008
Tameside, Manchester
ant one of our guys mugged gillly by accident;):D:D
honest guv it was an accident:)
I remember Gilly getting blamed for screwing a team over at Simply The Best about 4 years ago, i think. The player was sooooo adamant it was Gilly who did him over and was smug as you like, even though we asked if he was sure it was Gilly..........so we were even more smug when we told him that it was another paintballer's Jackanory moment, as Gilly wasn't even in the same bleeding country!!! The poor lad was on his jollies in Spain, I kid you not.

Jun 11, 2008
Ant, taking aside the likelihood that the judges are on the ball, I'm trying to gauge players honesty.
I'd probably go for a version of 2 but I'd ask for a check and start shooting til called neutral. At this point I've nothing to loose if I eliminate the final player and get called clean it's hello trophy. If I'm out the decisions put right and the oppositions too lost in the celebrations to care about it.
Different story if your part way through a game though. The two for one rule really hurts teams and there's few occasions where it's worth it. Believe it, if I get taken for someone elses infringement the whole pits going to know about it!
Talking about cheating refs the main problem I have had, and seen, is playing French teams in France. I've even had a game replayed because the ref couldn't believe the team could get beaten so easily and must not have been ready! This is a historic perspective remember so times may have changed.
On the other side of the coin I do feel English refs can be so worried about accusations of being bias they can be ultra strict and look for minor infractions in order to make a point. That said I do think they are the best judges out there - by far!

JJ

Ant_UK_Refs

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2008
Tameside, Manchester
Mate, I don't worry at all who is upset by any call I make, so long as I know I've made the right call. I'e never been biased towards any team, regardless of nationality. I don't ever have a vested interest in who wins or loses. I even pulled up the field Ultimate at Campaign in '05 cos his call was hugely wrong and he cost a team a genuine podium place. Funny thing is, it wasn't a Brit team, it was a Hungarian team as I recall. As for being over zealous, I ALWAYS ref each team with the same level of respect, whether they are a KOTH team, or a pro team. The key to being a ref is, obviously knowing the rulesand how to apply them....but to ref how you would like to be reffed. With respect for the player, for the sport and for the organisation and for the image of paintball in the first place. Bear this in mind and I guarantee that players will show you respect back....ok maybe not all!!!!!! BUT, the day I bend over for a team or turn a blind eye, is the day i pack in reffing for ever and I won't set foot back on field again

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
I havn't been sucessfully eliminated since 1997 (it was only spray, to be honest), so it's a hard question to answer. I guess if someone actually shot me, I would be so surprised I would probably leave the field straight away, for sure.
That doesn't mean to say I'm against cheating. Often I find games boring when the opposition leave the field the very first time I shoot them. It's far more challenging (and rewarding) to have to shoot them 5 or 6 times before they're out.

Thats why I always enjoyed playing against Pete, back in the day...

Reactions: Cook$

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I haven't been successfully eliminated since 1997 (it was only spray, to be honest), so it's a hard question to answer. I guess if someone actually shot me, I would be so surprised I would probably leave the field straight away, for sure.
That doesn't mean to say I'm against cheating. Often I find games boring when the opposition leave the field the very first time I shoot them. It's far more challenging (and rewarding) to have to shoot them 5 or 6 times before they're out.

Thats why I always enjoyed playing against Pete, back in the day...
I think that game where you were 'successfully eliminated' as you say back in 97 co-incided with the last game you actually played Missy ..... after all mate, you used to play for one of the hick northern teams who not only couldn't play ball but also spoke funny too ..

Whilst myself and Marcus ruled the UK and European roost in those days, you lot ooop north were still wearing flares and humping ugly women ....... come to think of it, if you norven slags weren't so preoccupied with humping those moose-faces, you might have been better ballers coz my memories of you guys being on the field against me were extremely short and extremely embarrassing ..... Let's face it Missy, if it hadn't been for Ledz bringing some semblance of respect for the north by creating the Banzais, I'm sure you lot would have disappeared in one big puff of black pudding .....

:)

Take it easy O !

Ant_UK_Refs

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2008
Tameside, Manchester
Sorry Pete, being a Norverner, could you please 'ave somebody translate that post. I can't understand the accent of the typing, try as I might i just can't get me 'ead round it ;)

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
I think that game where you were 'successfully eliminated' as you say back in 97 co-incided with the last game you actually played Missy ..... after all mate, you used to play for one of the hick northern teams who not only couldn't play ball but also spoke funny too ..

Whilst myself and Marcus ruled the UK and European roost in those days, you lot ooop north were still wearing flares and humping ugly women ....... come to think of it, if you norven slags weren't so preoccupied with humping those moose-faces, you might have been better ballers coz my memories of you guys being on the field against me were extremely short and extremely embarrassing ..... Let's face it Missy, if it hadn't been for Ledz bringing some semblance of respect for the north by creating the Banzais, I'm sure you lot would have disappeared in one big puff of black pudding .....

:)

Take it easy O !
You're right Pete,
At that time I was wearing flares, yes.
Unlike the southerners, the northern folk keep up with trends/fashions etc where possible. In the 'norf', being stylish does not make you a 'poof', in fact it greatly increases our chances of shagging an even higher number of ugly moose-heads.

That said, obviously we don't have anything in the norf to rival any of your great southern beauties, like Katie 'Jordan' Price, that blonde minger from Big brother, and Pauline fxcking Fowler.

We are, however, able to have carpets in our pubs, because we don't add lime, or a 'dash' of lemonade, to our beer. Everyone in the north knows that adding womens flavoring to beer makes you incontinent, and that's why you guys have put down the lino in your 'wine-bars', where you happily pay double the money to have someone make your beer undrinkable...