Votes: 76 69.7%
  • Yes, but shut up about it

Votes: 20 18.3%

• Total voters

WOODY LOKI

Has been.
Oct 25, 2006
St neots
i feel the higher up the percieved levels in paintball you go the more cheating is part of the sport. nearly all newer players including me and my team had this fairy tale picture of when you shoot someone in the pack, they'll feel it and call them self out, or a keen eyed marshal will spot it call them out instantly.
well we all know that doesn't happen.
until the penalties for cheating are deemed to high to take the chance then cheating will carry on because any little advantage could swing the game in your favour.

i know its football but carvalho of chealsea has made a career of grabbing, nipping, kicking, spiting, wrestling all of which is a form of cheating. he gets paid £80k a week until he starts getting red card after red card he'll keep doing it.

Ali

gunnin down fools in style
Jun 23, 2007
huddersfield
i've pretty much accepted cheating as part of the game, for example at the break out when i lane or run and gun im extremley surprised if anyone walks off the field from the break because i know they will slide the hit off and i would do the same depending on the circumstances.
this doesnt bother me one bit, but what does bother me is when its an OBVIOUS hit such as a gogg shot and they wipe it etc.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Robbo, I know plenty of players who view cheating as part of the game, who are of the opinion that everyone gets away with what they can (in fact this is pretty much all of the players I have encountered playing xball in the south and midlands).

There is however a big divide between those whom lie about the fact, denying that they cheat at all and those who (like myself) are fairly open about the fact.

In fact, I'd say viewing cheating (to a degree) as a part of the game is so prolific among the higher tier domestic players that it's almost a culture of open cheating, in that as soon as the game over call is made most players have no problem admitting that they had lost hits in point X or when hitting bunker Y.

So yes I think these people are honest, they're just playing a different game so to speak.

*edit* I suppose though, the difference between me and the rest of the players like me, is that because I am no longer affiliated with any team or company, I can state such things for all to see here on p8nt without worry. I dont have any reputation but my own, to concern myself with.

Your post quite accurately shows how very easy it is to misinterpret something that is written; in this case, it was me who misunderstood something in that I thought that when you were commenting upon those players who cheated, and then went into denial mode, I thought you were referring to players who cheated on the field and then, when a ref came anywhere near them would come out with things like, 'Oh no, it was splatter, I wasn't wiping blah blah blah .....'.
You were actually referring to people who cheat and then went on to deny it all in general chat later on ... I apologise for the 'naivety' comment as it was uncalled for and inaccurate ....

I think your point of view pretty much gets reinforced when you think about the well-worn saying that goes something like, 'there are two kinds are men, wahnkers and liars, and if you ain't .....', well that can be *******ised to some degree to ... there are two types of paintballer, cheaters and liars, and if you ain't a cheater ....'.
For the most part the second saying is true ....

The point you make regarding players going into denial mode is actually mirrored in bodybuilding with guys on roids ... up my gym, we have a mix of bodybuilders and fighters and we can damn well see who's on the gear but when asked, a fair proportion of them deny any such involvement.

It's pathetic really because as I see it, they are taking us for idiots if they think we believe them, and the same goes for a lot of ballers who claim they never cheat .......

You did touch upon the notion of a culture having developed within the hierarchy of tournament paintball and this is exactly what has happened over the years; the degree of acceptance is disgusting and was just as endemic when I owned Nexus and we were playing in the NPPL against all the top Yanks.
I ain't for one second suggesting none of my players cheated because I know for a fact they did but we had no designer cheating [gun cheats] back then when I owned it but that was because Ledz and myself would have nothing to do with it.

It's no good leaving it to the players to choose between cheating and not cheating; the lead has to be taken from the top and in the form of team policy ... it might not be an absolute but it's a first step .....

Collier

Arsed?
Jan 2, 2002
Macclesfield
Visit site
I wiped a gog shot once, felt like a **** and didn't do a good job and got pulled anyway albeit about 3 mins later.

Unrelated, Pete I had a dream last night that I was in planet looking longingly at a full Ego set up you popped your head round the door and handed your credit card over. Cheers!

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Unrelated, Pete I had a dream last night that I was in planet looking longingly at a full Ego set up you popped your head round the door and handed your credit card over. Cheers!
I'm not so sure I feel comfortable about featuring so heavily in your dreams; I just hope there's no Freudian relevance going on, leastwise I can get some sleep if there isn't.

And by the way, I ain't got a credit card ...... my bank account much prefers the only access I possess to my money is by way of a debit card, and of course thru the wife.
It keeps me solvent ... just!

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
I wiped a gog shot once, felt like a **** and didn't do a good job and got pulled anyway albeit about 3 mins later.

Three minutes? That's forever in paintball!!! :D

Collier

Arsed?
Jan 2, 2002
Macclesfield
Visit site
I'm not so sure I feel comfortable about featuring so heavily in your dreams; I just hope there's no Freudian relevance going on, leastwise I can get some sleep if there isn't.

And by the way, I ain't got a credit card ...... my bank account much prefers the only access I possess to my money is by way of a debit card, and of course thru the wife.
It keeps me solvent ... just!
I reckon your safe mate :)

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
I wiped a gog shot once, felt like a **** and didn't do a good job and got pulled anyway albeit about 3 mins later!
So it was a Woodsball game then, Paul?

As to the thread, cheating falls into 2 catagories: gamesmanship and outright dirty sh*t. Velocity ramping falls into the later catagory, everything else is fluid dependent upon your opponants. Screw the righteous.