Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Hands up...

shamu

Tonight we dine in hell
Apr 17, 2002
Now-Cal
To the question of why do Nov players think Pros cheat...

Baca's point about new players learning from the videos is a good point. I know a lot of new tournament players spend considerable time watching videos of the pros and pick up some bad impressions - playing through a hit, rubbing a hit off on a bunker, etc.

Also consider the word of mouth aspect. How many times have you heard experienced players (not necessarily pros) talking about how they got away with this or that in a tourny, or some new way to cheat? I've seen the thoughts from that IOG thread repeated many times, both on internet boards and at fields. Newer players hear or read this stuff and think that's how the game is played.

There's also the perception of cheating. I've seen plenty of guys screaming for paintchecks, convinced they hit their target, when they only hit the bunker. It's easy to convince yourself that the other guy is wiping, playing on or cheating in some way. That makes it easy for some players to rationalize it to themselves - "I have to cheat to win."

Another factor is to make up for a lack of skill, especially at the rookie/nov leve. I've played with people who seemed to think they were ready to turn pro, when they weren't really that good. If they got hit, they'd wipe it or play on with the hit because they couldn't accept being eliminated, even in practice. The more they do this in practice, the more likely they are to carry that attitude into a tournament.

Personally I can say that I've never wiped a hit or knowingly played with a hit since I started playing tournaments. Could I cheat? Yes, and I know a lot of ways to do it. Will I cheat? No, because it cheapens anything I accomplish.

Alright, soapbox goes back in the closet now. :D

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
Originally posted by shamu
To the question of why do Nov players think Pros cheat...

There's also the perception of cheating. I've seen plenty of guys screaming for paintchecks, convinced they hit their target, when they only hit the bunker. It's easy to convince yourself that the other guy is wiping, playing on or cheating in some way. That makes it easy for some players to rationalize it to themselves - "I have to cheat to win."

Another factor is to make up for a lack of skill, especially at the rookie/nov leve. I've played with people who seemed to think they were ready to turn pro, when they weren't really that good. If they got hit, they'd wipe it or play on with the hit because they couldn't accept being eliminated, even in practice. The more they do this in practice, the more likely they are to carry that attitude into a tournament.

. :D
Amen to that. 99% of players think they are better than they really are. I've never once yelled "on his hopper, on his foot, on his dingaling" because I either betokened em a few times making it impossible to wipe, or could'nt see a hit in the first place. You see so many players who think you pick up a marker point at the guy and blam shoot em out, well the physics simply won't allow it. Shooting a marker accurately and at distance in a game is the most difficult thing to do full stop. 9/10 players can sit on a range and put balls into a head size object all day, but that does not replicate into a game.

I'm not excusing cheating at all, but I think the point is valid that "check im check im check im", is the increduality that you really missed the player and are hoping against hope that you just about knicked him.

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
Most of the "check im check im" calls are pure speculation. If you watch a tournament from the sideline your be surprised that there appears to be certain individuals who actually do this a lot more than others.

If you really really hit em then sure call a check, if he goes back in when you think you've definetely hit him, give em 5 next time to make sure.

Collier

Arsed?
Jan 2, 2002
Macclesfield
Visit site
Bring up an interesting point there about people shooting at a bunker convinced that they've hit them screaming at me as a marshall to do a paintcheck then getting pissed off with me when I don't move, why haven't I gone to check I hear you ask? simple theres no-one in the bunker!!!!:D :D :D

Paul.
:)

Burb

#1 Soi Cowboy.
Nov 27, 2001
Middleweight
Aaaaah but its all a consipiracy to find out whether someone actually is in the bunker........

Marshall doesnt check, no player there!