Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Is paintball too cheap?

spangley_special

Free Agent
Sep 26, 2006
Bristol
www.iamjackfranklin.co.uk
i think you have actually validated my point here those 50 need to get there shot and the only way in this day of having to buy spots for the year up front is with the support an SPL or CPL team all ready have. The community is small and needs to be grown. if you never give a kid who doesnt know the right people the chance to shine and show what he can do then they'll get bored and frustrated and ultimatly leave.
Yeah, but if a kid is half decent he got that way by training and playing and thusly getting known/seen, meaning that coaches of local decent teams will be aware of him.
Having healthy and friendly communities around training venues and encouraging local talent is in my opinion a much better option than open trials, especially considering the size of our scene.

As for growing our community, that is really more centric to the domestic and lower div teams

Mello

Sep 19, 2003
Romford
Visit site
Back to dusty's 1st post (sorry if anyone has mentioned it before) but to make it exclusive again?

How can that be so by just having money. In fact in some sports many players who have managed to become 'professional' don't always come from being well off. Im guessing if you didnt have these types of players, alot of the teams now wouldn't have some of there greatest players.

Its discriminative to say
Now it's so cheap, students, kids, even the unemployed can still afford to play regularly and it's lowering the bar
No one is any better than anyone else. At least not down to what equipment they decide to use.

When you watch someone playing on the field, it is very rare you look at the gear they are using if they are playing well. Even when you get shot out, it certainly doesn't make you feel any better to know if you got shot out by an ion or an NT.

I play paintball because i enjoy it. I couldn't care less if you have the latest marker. I appreciate the technology and work and commitment that goes into making all paintball equipment, but it doesn't mean it will change how people play or there level of commitment.

kamikaze_chris

"DODDSY"
Dec 3, 2008
agreed but i think that people that play at the very top need a kind of arrogance about them, its what gives them there belief that they are the best and they will do the killing, the hard part is keeping that arrogance to themselves and keeping it on the field, but alot of newer players who think the world owes them something have this arrogance before they have the skills and i dont think its just in paintball i think its just youth of today thinking the world owes them something, and i agree with you about the shoot gun x if you want to play with us, Wolverhampton warped arnt the biggest team in the country but last season we came 2nd overall in the masters xball with no gun deal, and only help we had was the support warped gave us, this season we are going to play div 3 mills and again have no gun deal, and im not saying we deserve a deal or dont, but we dont think we are owed one and we will sure as hell just get on with it and shoot the guns we have, :)

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
Just to clarify, the original post says "a higher class of player" are we talking skill level or more personal qualitities? If costs went up I doubt I'd be able to play at all. I have to work hard to scrounge together enough money to play once every two months but I do it because I love to play. I mean since when was the best player on the field the one with the best kit? I suck because I don't play enough but I dont feel I should be priced out of a sport. I feel that given time until I'm financially secure and able to invest money into it properly I would grow to the standard of player that you desire.
It's not a snobbish thing if you can believe it. I'd rather have a **** player who tries hard and trains to make themselves better, than someone who's **** hot but never shows up, can't afford to be there with the rest of us to train as a team. Over the last couple of years I've seen a number of wannabe's who blow in, buy the gear, play cheap paintball for a few months, then decide they can't be bothered bcause it's raining, or because it actually requires some effort to get better. Sell their gear that they bought second hand, or through their sponsor lose maybe 50 quid on the lot and f*ck off only to come back and declare their undying dedication to effort.

You sound like the sort of guy who's in it for the long haul. Everyone has priorities and bills, mortgages, kids, wives, high maintenance girlfriends etc, but the fact you know you can't afford to play now, yet have plans to play when you can afford to shows long term planning and dedication, and whether you're **** at the game or not, i'll step on the field with you long before i'll step on with someone like the people i've described above.

Back to dusty's 1st post (sorry if anyone has mentioned it before) but to make it exclusive again?

How can that be so by just having money. In fact in some sports many players who have managed to become 'professional' don't always come from being well off. Im guessing if you didnt have these types of players, alot of the teams now wouldn't have some of there greatest players.

Its discriminative to say

No one is any better than anyone else. At least not down to what equipment they decide to use.

When you watch someone playing on the field, it is very rare you look at the gear they are using if they are playing well. Even when you get shot out, it certainly doesn't make you feel any better to know if you got shot out by an ion or an NT.

I play paintball because i enjoy it. I couldn't care less if you have the latest marker. I appreciate the technology and work and commitment that goes into making all paintball equipment, but it doesn't mean it will change how people play or there level of commitment.

I don't get put out by markers, it's the balls that put me out. I don't care who shoots what, like I say, it's not about how rich you are.In fact, if i see someone with a sparkly marker, no scratches on it, looking like it came straight out of the box, I'm not even remotely worried, shows me they never use the chuffing thing.

I know not everyone can afford to step up and drop a grand straight out, but the same people who moan they don't have money to train on sunday, are out on the piss on saturday night, spending what? £50? £60? on booze? Give over......... including travel whats a training session cost most people these days? £35 or £40??

I am not the richest guy in the world, but I gave up smoking. I don't drink much. I don't go out on the razz with my mates, I'm a mod, we don't have any except for each other.

I'm married with 2 kids, and perfectly happy to NOT go down the bar 3 times a week, i don't gamble, no moral reasoning behind it i just don't do it on top of that I work two jobs. Hence i am fortunate that i can afford to buy a new shiny when the notion strikes me, i can afford to go training, I make an effort to help those who make the effort.

Mudafunka

Apr 26, 2008
South Wales
i think youve took what i said wrongly. i said any team can get a "sponsor" by sponsor i mean a paintball company offering a discount to you to slap stickers all over your gear. yet if you asked for the same discount you would get it anyway without the need to slap the stickers on.

a real sponsor wouldnt ask for payment or offer a 10% or what ever discount. and i think this is where the problem is.
In that case i did read it out of context so sorry. I also don't class sponsorship as a company offering certain discounts to promote themselves.

DJForbes

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2009
petitions.number10.gov.uk
no worries. i dont understand why the industrie still calls it sponsor ship. i always thought it would be better to try get sponsor from outside of paintball. not easy but would increase cash flow

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
i think we can all safely agree that the "bar level" that is set is not determined by the finance of those who play, but more like the attitude towards the game.

Sponsorship is a touchy one. yes it can cause problems when "sponsorships" are more readily available and then the new kids with the wrong ATTITUDE demand this small discount because they think its deserved. whether a company is giving a £5 off voucher or a shiny new gun to every player is irrelevant. if you look at the sponsor forms on some websites its just questions about how many in your team, how often do you play etc, and to be quite honest it looks like they dont give a sod about the character of the people playing, or the attitude they have.

sponsorship has to get cleared up and get back to the point this exists in sports: to provide those who provide the effort the well earned rest they deserve.

as for teams demanding you shoot their guns i think that is just utter cr@p. After all, chances are if someone shoots you, all you know is their ball hit you and your out. why cry about what they shot you with. after all what advantage do they really have? everyone can have a gun nowadays that shoots straight and doesnt break often. so in my opinion someone with an ion up against an NT isnt that unfair a match, after all the player who uses a bit of SKILL will definately be the winner.

Lastly in terms of the people with the right attitude joining teams: i'd definately say that if you go out there and just play, if you are good people will recognise this and reward you justly. enough said.

snax

round the town funky kwow
Mar 11, 2008
st.neots
This is the best thread I've seen in a long time, but I think paintball is expensive I. Ways but cheap in others like nearly 100 for a tourni I mean really that's like 3 trainings for me and a little bit left over but yet pods you can get say 4 for 4 the subway I usually get is more than that so some areas make up for others, I don't have a job and nobody pays for me but yet I play all the time and don't stop playing when we are there and many can vouch for that, for me sponsorship is wEnt not given I couldn't care if it's free or 1pound off you get what you deserve I've been playing for about 22 months and I went from the kid playing in the woods at sabotage and now playing for London tigers and that is the gratest thing ever . To me it doesn't matter what gun you have or much it is if your playing paintball and doing the right thing getting better be faithfully to your sponsors then that's as gd as you can get

JoeJr

Feb 15, 2006
Birmingham
So you're saying unless you have a decent paid full time job you shouldnt be allowed to play paintball because you shouldnt be able to afford it.

Sorry, but no.

Surely you should be wanting more players to the sport not filtering them out?

imaninja

COD noob since 2003
Apr 4, 2010
bishops stortford
I completely disagree with the thread starter. Paintball should be cheaper or better cheaper gear should be up for sale. The youth (like me) are really the future of paintball, especially as paintball is dying out and people are playing more air soft these days. We need cheaper equipment so the youth who maybe don’t have rich mummy’s and dad’s to but there gear for them or cant find a job.