Ramping at the PA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob - Nott'm Tremmor

I was Captain/manager/coach
Dec 17, 2003
Nottingham
Originally posted by Steve Hancock
So much stupidity, I hav no idea whether Magdog actually had a point or not......
Well , I spoke to Mad Dog last night on the phone. He rang me after my last post. He does have some points that agree with , and there are some issues that he does not want to put up on a public board. To be honest , not a lot is relevant to the ramping issue , some of it was personal issues to do with him and the PA management , and I'm not going to go into that either.

He did say that he is NOT against ramping :)eek: ) I nearly fell off my stool when he said that. He is not happy with the extra two shots that follow the last trigger pull. He sees that as almost full auto , which I kind of see his point. That is more or less his only issue with the ramping rule.

The other "risk" elements of his arguments are specific to a certain type of goggle system. He claims that if a string of shots came in at a slight angle , and impacted on or near the bridge of the nose , the lens pops up , and you get shot in the face. The risk of this happening , I feel , is increased slightly , because it is easier to keep a constant string of paint using the ramp , and it does fire the extra two shots after the last pull.

You could argue that before ramping was allowed , you could take a string of shots in the same place , and it could of been at any rate of fire , but how many people could do a mugging run while shooting a constant 15BPS ( while running ) , without the ramp mode? So the risk could be higher , if you wear that particular goggle system.

I dont , but lots of people do.

The rest of the conversation ( which was cut short , becasue my mobile battery died ) was about the anti-cheating software ideas he had. I see his points , but I'm not sure that any manufacturer would make the necasary modifications to their boards , and give anyone access to their software codes.

I think that Mad dog has come off quite bad on this thread ( and others like it ) because he is trying to argue too many points , with too many personal issues with the PA management. He has tried ( Allegedly ) to warn the PA Management of possible safety issues with the goggle system he is talking about , not the ramping rule , and has been knocked back. He has offered to do things for the PA , for free , to improve the site ( Allegedly ) and has again been knocked back again. He only wants to make things safer , and better for UK ball , but I think hes gone the wrong way about making his views known , and he has confused a few issues on here , and nobody knows what he is actually trying point out.

Hopefully I have cleared up his issues with ramping ( basically , not many ) and pointed out what he is really talking about. The safety of using a certain goggle system , and the polotics involved between him , and the PA. Like mad dog , I'm not going to say what system he is talking about , that would be silly.....

.....may the Gforce be with you ;) because , apparently , you'll need it. ( Allegedly )

Cheers , Rob.

p.s. MadDog , if I have misunderstood what you were talking about , I appologise , the above was how I took it.

Kevin

MK Storm
Apr 12, 2002
Leeds
www.stormpaintballteam.co.uk
if there is a problem with a certain goggle system he should tell the manufacturer and not a tourny organiser, what does he expect them to do ?
they cant ban them on the say so of someone that is sponsored and probably has no proof of any fault.
and if lots of people use this goggle system why havent we heard of anything like this before ??

Rob - Nott'm Tremmor

I was Captain/manager/coach
Dec 17, 2003
Nottingham
Originally posted by Kevin
if there is a problem with a certain goggle system he should tell the manufacturer and not a tourny organiser, what does he expect them to do ?
From what I gather , thats pretty much what he was told.

Originally posted by Kevin
they cant ban them on the say so of someone that is sponsored and probably has no proof of any fault.
and if lots of people use this goggle system why havent we heard of anything like this before ??
He claims to have done a test , I suppose that's his proof. He feels that the ramping allows for a constant stream of paint , which increases the risk of this fault causing a problem , which is also a possible reason for it not being shown up before.

Obviously , you'd have to be pretty unlucky to get all the right ( or wrong ) attributes needed for this to happen. So maybe it will never happen anyway. He just feels that it is more likely to happen now ramping is allowed.

Hang on a minute , I'm starting to sound like a dog supporter!!

Matski

SO hot right now
Aug 8, 2001
Maybe they should perform their own tests just to check.....

If the alleged did happen to a person, and a court heard that the PA had been forewarned about the issue and did nothing, you do the math..

Its not hard or expensive to strap goggles to a post and fire a case of paint at them from different angles. Personally I think it's unlikely for there to be a problem, I'm sure goggle manufacturers do more testing than anyone else..obviously.

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
The thing with the marker firing 2 extra shots after you stop pulling, how does the marker know its your last shot. On the rest of the shots it adds those but no one minds becasue they continue firing afterwards. If you look at the risk of someon accidently shooting someone without googles, you need to take in to account reaction times as well. This would infact result in more shots than the ramp, (i layed the maths out in another thread on ramp.)

Mario

Pigeon amongst the cats
Sep 25, 2002
Location, Location.
Originally posted by Rob - Nott'm Tremmor
.....may the Gforce be with you ;) because , apparently , you'll need it. ( Allegedly )

mmmmm ;)
sure the manufacturer would love to see his proof...;)

Rob has hit the nail on the head, he has some very valid points but he just argues them all wrong. its part of the reason i always have a go at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.