Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

staining paint...again

Ronnie Hollington

London Tigers #9
Aug 4, 2003
Mayhem
www.mayhem-paintball.co.uk
The staining paint atm is ZAP ive named it on another thread, i know all you zap teams are going to flame me. But im kinda sick of coming home pink from where ive crawled in it. There have been lots of complaints even to the ppl selling zap at stb.

"The reason pink paint stains becuase its not a primary colour so u have to use more pigment to get the colour pink,which is made up of 3 other colours infact. This makes it more expencive so to reduce the cost of the ball its a oil based paint as it binds better with the colouring. water based paintballs are more expencive then oil based and stain less."

This is what i have been told by a paint manafacture.

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
Originally posted by Paul_collier
No stains for me, mind you I only got shot once..... and that was in the gogs :D :D :D

Paul.
:)
Whilst I cannot comment on what paint does / dosen't stain (I allways take my washing home to Mummy, and she can get any stain out of anything (curtains, bedding etc ;) ;) ;) ), I'm definetly with Paul on this one, only Punters get done in their tops, trousers etc. Me I've only been done on the Goggs and barrell :D :D :D

As a Severe "supported" team, despite it not being pointed out to us or proved conclusive that Pink Cyclone stains, we now shoot the Green Cyclone with I think Orange or Yellow fill. Are'nt we nice to you all!!!

Gups

May 9, 2003
Aldershot
Originally posted by sjt19
It was pink cyclone that stained my skin from Sweden....
Pink Cyclone stained my playing top at M25, I can say this without a shadow of doubt as i know exactly what game the particular stains came from as it was all spray from sitting in the dead box. We trained on Sunday using the pink RPS marballizer we had left over from last M25 and Heavens Gate. All paint marks washed out from clothing and off our supair... one person on p8 suggested it was the heat baking paint into the fabric... well last Sunday broke all records as being the hottest day in the UK ever so its not the heat... quite simply some brands of pink paint stain and others dont!

JoseDominguez

New cut and carved spine!
Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
Originally posted by Ronnie Hollington
The staining paint atm is ZAP ive named it on another thread, i know all you zap teams are going to flame me. But im kinda sick of coming home pink from where ive crawled in it. There have been lots of complaints even to the ppl selling zap at stb.

"The reason pink paint stains becuase its not a primary colour so u have to use more pigment to get the colour pink,which is made up of 3 other colours infact. This makes it more expencive so to reduce the cost of the ball its a oil based paint as it binds better with the colouring. water based paintballs are more expencive then oil based and stain less."

This is what i have been told by a paint manafacture.
I warned you about naming stuff like that mate..........I know for a fact that another paint is staining and I believe somethin more complicated is happening. Lets see your research and findings, then we'll support you, otherwise, brace yourself.

Jose B, firing NELSON and never used Zap EVER so no ulterior motive.

How many players have been hit by zap and not stained? how about orange stains? this disproves your statement immediately Ronnie................. something is staining, it's from a number of manufacturers, not just one, it may be one common ingredient (I'm leaning towards a red dye...... orange and pink stains so far) or a combination of factors beyond a manufactureres control..... paint, hunidity and weather conditions.
If it was Zap pink........then it would always stain, consitently and reliably............but lots of players say no it doesn't.
You can jump to conclusions easily mate............ how many people drank coke a STB and came home with stained shirts?
See......it's coke, it stains your shirts.
It may br some dodgy ingredients I can't prove it's not.

But you can't be sued for that.

I'd delete your posts Ronnie, or at least edit out your libelous statements.

Oh and you got that info from a paint manufacturer...........wouldn't be a rival of Zap's would it?

JoseDominguez

New cut and carved spine!
Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
A bit of science for ya.........as people are using dye and pigment interchangeably.........aint the same thing.

A pigment is like paint........ lots of it and it sits on the surface it hits........ it's a suspension of coloured particles, so when it hits something it leaves a "splodge" all paints leave a "layer" of colour which obscures the surface beneath.

Dyes bind to the surface they hit, changing it's colour as long as they are darker (it's why you can't print yellow on black paper, or dye black hair brown without bleaching).

So....... paintballs use pigment, but for some reason a constituent of some balls is also making a stain........... like grass, the green pigment that colours it releases a staining compound if it's crushed, that's why grass stains so badly.
Most importantly dyes are fabric specific..... from cotton specific right down to microbiology dyes which are tissue specific........e.g a cotton dye won't stain nylon and a gram+ve bacteria stain will only colour those little guys.
On top of this we have mordants.........extra chemical which can make a non permanent stain permanent............ in industry these can be simple e.g acetic acid (vinegar) up to nasty silver compounds. In history urine has been used to give colourfast results.( anyone peeing on their kit?)

So, it's a complicated science............. lots of factors to consider and not worth making blanket statements that help no-one.

sykesg

Smakin your Bitch up
Aug 22, 2001
London
www.mayhemtigers.com
JoseDominguez

thanks for the chemistory lesson, but I'm still happy to state loud and clear as I'm sure Ronnie is that it was without question zap that stained me at STB and without question zap that stained me in sweden.

Staining paint sucks, we train and play every weekend with a different brand to the above two and only ever with paint of a pink or orange fill, guess how many times that has stained? never.

The particular fills in question should be added to the banned list.

Buns of steel

Coach & Banker!!!!!!
Jul 22, 2003
sussex.
Visit site
Pink paint

Jose, all paint manufactures could and I beleive have at sometime produced staining paints. And the reason why is because we the players wanted them. In an effort to provide us with the best shooting, best marking and least easiest to wipe paint they have tried everything. It is in this effort to please us, the players that they have put certain ingredients in the paint that stain.
The other problem with staining paint is the damage it does to the areas we play in, if we want to play in the big stadiums we need to respect them.
Ronnie may be wrong to mention any paint by name but he and I are in a much better position to have a view on the matter as we both run sites and test paint all the time for all sorts of problems.

It's not the colour of paint that stains it's the ingredients in the mix that stain.

If you think we have an ulterior motive with this thread then fine
but surely all views posted here aren't all from one team or one group of sponsored teams, so there must be something p***ing people off.:(