Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

The UK's Best Team... PERIOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

go-one

Re: Go One

Originally posted by Robbo
Hey Gareth, pulling names from a hat would be more accurate than this method :)

Ok, I was joking...a little ......
As for the integrity of the 'mathematical formula' when applied to ranking UK teams, I doubt that it could do it accurately or anywhere near it.
It would have to take into account many variables and assign to those variables a factor that could only be 'guessed at' by the formulator.

I bet if I asked you to put the top ten teams in order, you would be able to do it a lot more accurately than this formula would ever be able to do.
Unfortunately the use of a formula is only as good as the data used for its variables and the integrity of its construct.

So unless Go One is Rene Descartes in disguise, you would do better to find a bit of paper and start scribblling if ya wanna know the ranking of UK teams :)
Hell of an assumption for someone who (as far as i'm aware) has never seen the list and cetainly has not seen the formulae !!!!!

However, knowing Robbo has a (maths) academic background I won't argue with his comments on formule usage, as I have already said in other threads NO system is perfect and my BASIC one is all I have time to run !!

It does, however, take into account event size and advertised level (ie no pro / nov only !), and was designed to assist event organisers to seed there events. As you say Robbo, ANYONE could have a good guess at the top 10 (Div 1) but what about 30 -> 50 (Divs 3 -> 5) ??????????????????????????????? I have over 200 Teams listed !!!!!!!!!!

I know Liz considers it accurate enough to use AS PART of her considerations when seeding M25's (Sorry your not doing Rd 6) And feedback from others is encouraging, so,

Perfect NO
Best out there, You decide !

Top 50.....................(3 UK events entered or more (hence no NEXUS))

Tigers Pro
K2
Inferno
Shockwave Pro
Kelly's
Imperial
Ecstacy
Backlash
RPS Chameleons
RPS Vipers Black
Team Swat
Jaguars
Redz
Shockwave Am
Storm Pro
Illusion
Team Vortex
Tigers Am
UK Chameleons (RPS ?)
Delta
Unknown
NoXcuse
Psycho Pimps
Raven
Killer Clowns
Storm Am
Silverback
Don't Panic
Nitro
Sad Uk
RPS Vipers Gold
Red Heat
Sinners Repent
Hurricane
Illusion II
Team Hype
Team Quest
RPS Viper
Panic Attack
Campaign P Red
DV8
Legion
Impact
Shockwave Nov / III
DOA Zelots
Team Wolf
UK Marshals 1
Tremmor / yellow
Phoenix
Kamikazees

WKD

Apr 7, 2002
East yorkshire
Visit site
Wouldnt it be a more viable idea that a one off tourney held as central in the UK as possible and have all the tourney organisers from all over the uk leagues get there heads together organiise this tourney and make it open to all and not just those that have qualilified by attending certain tourneys throughout the year.

Invite all the teams from all the leagues and whoever wants to take part take part wether it be for pro am novice UK champions!!

If teams then want to use it then for bragging rights that they are the best team in the UK period then fine but it would save alot of messing about using qualifing tourneys and just get on and do this one off tourney

I will now be mostly gettin off me soap box :D

Just a thought tho im probably gonna get flamed for it :rolleyes: !!!!

T

Tommy Gun-Nexus

Originally posted by woz
1. I think you are trying 2 hint you are the better team here, you say you don't care about the UK no1 title, but its you doing all the crying 'Nexus did good at S7 and we beat tigers at Toulouse, we won Utoxetor, its only are feeder year, blah blah blah but we don't care about Uk no 1 honestly'?

2. I got $1000 that we (tigers) would beat you black & blue in lets say best of 10 games.

3. Ye you beat us in Toulouse with the help of Tommy "The cheat" Pembelpuss & are guns going down all over the place, You guys were lucky & you know it.

4. The Millenniums have had as good if not better opposition than any NPPL S7's, Tigers are the highest ranked UK team in the world. You have 2 do more than beat us in a lucky game 2 be No1 otherwise i think you will find Method are No1 buy your workings out after beating all of us this season at some point well done METHOD ON UK NO1 SPOT.

Woz
:D :D :D
Warren, Hold back from the chronic for a bit dude and let your paranoia calm down! All Pete said in response to Gaff's post was that we played you in Toulouse, Nothing more!!

1. Everything we have achieved this year that you have mentioned are FACTS. So wassup? No one said anything about us beating you untill you brought it up!

2. If I actually had any money I might have been interested in taking you up on that ;)

3. WTF!!:confused: Was your view pretty poor from the deadbox?! :D Alan's hopper going down was unlucky, but you cant say that it finalised the outcome of the game.

4. I take it your speaking from your vast experience of Stateside 'ball Woz :rolleyes: :p

Congrats on being the highest ranked Uk team.

Oh and Congrats to Method for being UK's best team ;) :)

Peace out

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by woz
I think you are trying 2 hint you are the better team here, you say you don't care about the UK no1 title, but its you doing all the crying 'Nexus did good at S7 and we beat tigers at Toulouse, we won Utoxetor, its only are feeder year, blah blah blah but we don't care about Uk no 1 honestly'?

I got $1000 that we (tigers) would beat you black & blue in lets say best of 10 games.

Ye you beat us in Toulouse with the help of Tommy "The cheat" Pembelpuss & are guns going down all over the place, You guys were lucky & you know it.

The Millenniums have had as good if not better opposition than any NPPL S7's, Tigers are the highest ranked UK team in the world. You have 2 do more than beat us in a lucky game 2 be No1 otherwise i think you will find Method are No1 buy your workings out after beating all of us this season at some point well done METHOD ON UK NO1 SPOT.
Woz
:D :D :D
Warren, now listen to me, in the past, your team and captain have all told you to keep your gob shut when you come on these boards, you should listen to them more often.
They tell you this for good reason, you have a big mouth and you sure ain't the sharpest knife in the draw, a sometimes unfortunate combination that you max out in, in both departments.
You are an average player with no great insight into the game, live with it !
As for accusing Tommy of anything, anybody who's has seen that kid play and has had any experience of watching you play or hearing you knows how to take your comments, and believe me Warren, I know a fair bit about paintball when I say, you don't even deserve to clean his boots, not even close.
The incident you are talking about was at the end of the game when just Tommy and Flash were on the field, just two players.
All the judges were left to look at these two play the game out with about four or five of them in close attendance.
You were in the dead box (as usual) at the other end of the field on the other side of the field..Tommy shot Flash first, no argument, no problem from Flash or any of the judges, they ALL called it as they saw it ..and yet you ask people to believe you saw what went down from where you were and ALL the judges made a mistake from where they were ?????
You insult Tommy, you insult Nexus and you insult your own team mates with such a remark
As for the Tigers loss in Toulouse against us, you lost because you lost, pure and simple, you lost.
Not for any other reason than you got beat by a better team, now if you wanna debate what team’s best, get your ass out to the States and do what we have done, until then STFU !

In Toulouse, you got beat by an Am team, we didn't, tell you anything ?????
In Toulouse, you only had 5 pro teams to play against, we had six and we still placed higher than you, tell you anything????

I don't give two sh!ts about who is called the best team over here, if you want it, cool you can run round calling yourself what you like, we got bigger fish to fry !
And regardless of any pathetic little wagers you wanna lay down, Warren, you and your team do not even figure in any of our considerations, how the fcuk old are you ????
'I bet you....blah..... blah.....'... My God!!!! You sound as though you are still at school !!!!

And just for your info little warren, next time, do as you have been told a million times before by myself and your team-mates, READ THE FACKIN POST PROPERLY !!!!
The quote you used of mine was in response to a post by Gaff where he said that the only Brit pro teams who had played against each other in the Millennium were his team and Shock in Dam, I just reminded him we had played you in Toulouse, THAT IS ALL !!!!!
.............READ IT AGAIN DUMBASS !!!!!
I never even mentioned or hinted at any result , and elsewhere in the thread I have been 100 % respectful to the Tigers !!!!!
Now, little warren, listen to me, I and others in your team have warned you many times before about opening your gob without reading things properly.
No more warnings, now go away !!!
And just in case you can't find the quote I made, and its context, I have copied and pasted it underneath so you can read it at your leisure..don't even bother trying to apologize when it finally dawns on you what a pratt you have made of yourself and your team again.... you won't be able to post !
Have a good day !

Quote--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by gaff
the only way you can have a 'best team in britain' is to have a league that everyone plays in every event and then the scores would be more accurate. the Millenium is at the moment the only real judge of how good we are, but still only against the teams that have entered!

at the moment we are above some very good American teams in the series points, but they have only played one tournament, how can i say without looking stupid that that means we are a better team than them? cos that is what your scores table is suggesting!

at the moment the best UK teams havnt even played each other in a top ranking tournament (except us and Shockwave in Dam) so how can we be judged against each other?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Reply to Gaff

Exactly Gaff....couldn't have put it better myself....by the way we played Tigers in Toulouse[/b]

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Re: Re: Go One

Originally posted by go-one
Hell of an assumption for someone who (as far as i'm aware) has never seen the list and cetainly has not seen the formulae !!!!!

However, knowing Robbo has a (maths) academic background I won't argue with his comments on formule usage, as I have already said in other threads NO system is perfect and my BASIC one is all I have time to run !!

It does, however, take into account event size and advertised level (ie no pro / nov only !), and was designed to assist event organisers to seed there events. As you say Robbo, ANYONE could have a good guess at the top 10 (Div 1) but what about 30 -> 50 (Divs 3 -> 5) ??????????????????????????????? I have over 200 Teams listed !!!!!!!!!!

I know Liz considers it accurate enough to use AS PART of her considerations when seeding M25's (Sorry your not doing Rd 6) And feedback from others is encouraging, so,

Perfect NO
Best out there, You decide !
Go one, as I have said, the integrity of any formula is only as good as the data used and the integrity of its construct.
The major problem with this is, that teams do not play enough games, they do not play against each other enough and different tournaments have different levels of difficulty.
Now, with those limitations on your data entries, there is no formula in the world that can be anywhere near accurate, least of all, a basic one that you say you have.
I don't have to see it to know it's limitations, I know the limitation on the data inputs and can therefore have a pretty good guess as to any results your formula might spew out..
Not anybody's fault, it's just that anybody trying to deduce relative positioning of teams from the data available is doomed from the start if ability is the criterion you are looking to grade based upon results achieved in various unrelated tournaments.
This is not a criticism in any way Go One, merely an observation on limitations.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Loki *Uk*
I am curious how Robbo feels about the PA cup? In one of his earliest posts he said 'that the tournament which is biggest and with the best teams would decide which team was the best in the UK' ( that is a summary). The PA cup happened with just 12 teams playing. Manchester won, with (according to rumours) Nexus players playng for them. ( dont know how true this is so if I am wrong feel free to correct me). I attended the PA cup and it was excellent, organisation spot on, and very professional, I have sopken to Bill corin who runs WARPIG and spectated the american pro teams 'who believe X-ball is the way to go' and yes I agree that they are way above 'most' UK teams. I have the utmost admiration for NEXUS (especially if they were playing for Mancs) as they handed our arses to us in the PA cup, and we learnt from that experience, but surely as a 'High profile' team they should be encouriging teams and individual paintballers to aspire to there heights, instead of picking faults with the way a person phrased an opinion in these forums then encourage the UK teams to become pros.
Okay thats Andy, getting off his soap box,
Andy:cool:
Andy, first off, I don't see what the PA Cup has to do with anybody calling themselves best team, from all accounts it was a fantastic event and a big congrats to Gillie and hats off to Hatts for putting it on in the way that it was done but it has no relevance whatsoever to any team assessments because the teams that made up the PA cup were made up of players from many different club teams and it is these club teams who are the subject of this thread.
The PA Cup just produced the best team, in this case Manchester, out of the teams there, that is all !

Now as far as I know Bill Mills runs Warpig, and what the hell he has to do with anything I don't know...
And as for your last point, regarding Nexus's obligation to help out Brit teams as you put it instead of 'picking faults.........', jeeeeez!!!!!
Look, read my post again...carefully please, you will see I only questioned the title of the thread, other people have come on after me and raised the same point.

And as for Nexus helping out Brit teams ?
Hmmmm, did you hear about the Nexus training camp for all UK teams and players who wanted to come????
You hear of any other UK pro team doing that ???????
Nah, thought not :rolleyes:
Have a nice day !

go-one

Re: Re: Re: Go One

Originally posted by Robbo
Go one, as I have said, the integrity of any formula is only as good as the data used and the integrity of its construct.
The major problem with this is, that teams do not play enough games, they do not play against each other enough and different tournaments have different levels of difficulty.
Now, with those limitations on your data entries, there is no formula in the world that can be anywhere near accurate, least of all, a basic one that you say you have.
I don't have to see it to know it's limitations, I know the limitation on the data inputs and can therefore have a pretty good guess as to any results your formula might spew out..
Not anybody's fault, it's just that anybody trying to deduce relative positioning of teams from the data available is doomed from the start if ability is the criterion you are looking to grade based upon results achieved in various unrelated tournaments.
This is not a criticism in any way Go One, merely an observation on limitations.
Not taken as critisism, all imput is benaficial. Hope in long run to improve formule as trends become apparent, i.e. weighting of the 4 leagues as we all know the M25 is hardest (thread jackers start another on this !!!!!) once I can justifie it from the data. The main reason for this tho is the comparison of all teams not just the top ones, helps MM if an unknown from SWPL turns up ! All the results of tornies used are on the web site as well (In final test, up soon) so they can be used as a resourse alone ! I know the formulae is limited, I state this on the web site, but at present it's about the only system out there and i think it's slightly better than "pulling names out a hat" cos we ALL know that system depends on whos hat it is ! :p

sykesg

Smakin your Bitch up
Aug 22, 2001
London
www.mayhemtigers.com
Robbo

oh dear Woz has his knickers in a twist again and shouldn't of posted what he posted.

Facts are there is only one European team we haven't beaten inc. Legon once and one on one another time, Ton Tons a few times and Joy every time and thats Nexus.

We've only played the you once and lost fact - I know you were probably cross with Woz but you do have to conceed, as the Nexus boys did you were lucky. We had gun trouble and Alan had Tommy then Ledz bang to rights but his hopper broke paint and he had to literaly step on Ledzy in the the back corner to get a hit on him.

The Am team we lost to was Cyclone and we lost not because they beat us but because we were cocky and threw it away - incidently we played and beat them in sweden and that was the first time this year cyclone had lost to their alloted pro. :)

peace

Status
Not open for further replies.