Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Pro players ????????

Joey

Aug 1, 2003
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
No, I don't think I contradicted myself. :)

I don't think they are worth that price, and subsequently I don't BUY any jerseys. . . .

I do agree with your comment about things going mainstream, and the cost of jerseys going up as the legitimacy of the sport increases. . . .

And when paintball IS a legitimate sport and mainstream, perhaps then I might consider insuring my collection. . . . .right now, its a bunch of shirts in frames on the wall.

Not worth anything in my opinion more than the memories and personal attachment I have to them. (And how can you put a price on that?? :p )

There is a need for a 'rating system' or something for jerseys - so that true and fair evaluations and prices can be created, and then correct inflation can occur as the sport becomes legitimate.

:)

eLLiot-

Planet Eclipze[!]
Dec 19, 2007
Are pballers on a yearly income, lets say ollie lang, how much would he be on a year including sponsor payment, team payment etc etc

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
No, I don't think I contradicted myself. :)

I don't think they are worth that price, and subsequently I don't BUY any jerseys. . . .

I do agree with your comment about things going mainstream, and the cost of jerseys going up as the legitimacy of the sport increases. . . .

And when paintball IS a legitimate sport and mainstream, perhaps then I might consider insuring my collection. . . . .right now, its a bunch of shirts in frames on the wall.

Not worth anything in my opinion more than the memories and personal attachment I have to them. (And how can you put a price on that?? :p )

There is a need for a 'rating system' or something for jerseys - so that true and fair evaluations and prices can be created, and then correct inflation can occur as the sport becomes legitimate.

:)
Ah but you are:

"Just like all collectibles, they are only worth what someone is willing to spend on them"

Versus

"since the PBN kids un-naturally inflate the prices of jerseys, they will continue to sell for stupid prices"

That's the contradiction. Them PBN kids, dumb as they may be, determine that the jerseys are worth it. There is nothing unnatural about it. It is in fact a market working in its most basic form. Hate it or love it, but it is what it is and it is exactly what you describe in the first quote.

As far as rating systems go, it doesn't exist for other collectables either. There are only those who have a good knowledge of the market and as such can give a good estimate of what a Louisville Slugger signed by Willy Mays will go for. That's all...
Sure, they do go by a list of things and the more boxes they tick (things like mint condition and whatnot), the more the price will go up. You may call that a rating system, but it's not set in stone.

PS (this goes for everybody) Don't let the fact that I'm a mod give you the feeling that you have been TFP'ed or something. I'm just partaking in this discussion and enjoying the back and forth of our argumentation. :)

!xobile

Canadian assassin
Dec 24, 2007
Land of the Igloos
This brings to mind pebbles stalker haha
hey :p

I honestly think it's up to the person themselves to do what they want. For example, if I am a pro and someone pm'd me asking for ****, I'd ask them for money.
If I was at an event and a fan came up and asked for a jersey (assuming I had others) I'd probably give it to them

That all being said, it is their stuff and they do have to somehow get money to be able to play paintball so, whereas you might be arguing the good smertin (sp, I thnk that's the footy player's name :p), they are people just like you and me who have to make money too

PEBBLE

Toot de la fruit!
Nov 8, 2004
what about if you have pants would you sell it or give it to a person on pbnation ? ;) haha

Echowitch

Southern Pirates
Are pballers on a yearly income, lets say ollie lang, how much would he be on a year including sponsor payment, team payment etc etc
To build on that, how many proper Pro players are there out there ? How many actually get paid to play fulltime, and not have a fulltime job and play on the side as a "Pro".

Because Im pretty sure that there is really only Ollie Lang who can really use the title "Pro" then.

Everyone else gets their sponsor allocation and has to sell stuff to be able to play. I've heard of SPL players who haven't been able to sell their allocated "for sale" Sponsor gear and have had to miss an event or two because they haven't been able to afford it.

spangley_special

Free Agent
Sep 26, 2006
Bristol
www.iamjackfranklin.co.uk
To build on that, how many proper Pro players are there out there ? How many actually get paid to play fulltime, and not have a fulltime job and play on the side as a "Pro".

Because Im pretty sure that there is really only Ollie Lang who can really use the title "Pro" then.

Everyone else gets their sponsor allocation and has to sell stuff to be able to play. I've heard of SPL players who haven't been able to sell their allocated "for sale" Sponsor gear and have had to miss an event or two because they haven't been able to afford it.
all of Legion.
Also I remember reading (in pgi actually) a while back that Bob Longs boys used to get $1500 (i think thats the figure) per tourney.

Rabies

Trogdor!
Jul 1, 2002
London, UK
I agree, if every jersey a "pro" player sells means another half-day he doesn't have spend flipping burgers to keep a roof over his head, so he can spend another half-day training, then all the better. It's for the good of the sport ;)