Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Nexxus out of the NPPL ?

sabianfan

Jan 11, 2005
Grantham Lincolnshire
its amazing how many good young talent is trapped in teams that are going nowhere, there are many players trapped in teams that just play the masters/pa and never train.
No disrespect to these teams or tournaments, they may see it as a laugh but im sure there are many young players who could go far if they joined a team that takes it a bit more seriously.

you are exactly right raffles, places like d7's and northern quarter (although i havent been there before) are the only places where players can train against top teams and thus improve. Too many teams train with people at a similar level, with this you dont push yourself to play better.

tyronne

May 23, 2006
south africa
Raffles said:
But surely bringing players in from SA (or any other distant land) was the problem in the first place?

Now I am confused (again).

Personally, I think a complete restructure of UK ball needs to happen - long before any teams think about far off climates.

UK ball is not dire - it's all but dead - a handfull of hardcore ballers are out there - but that's all it is - a handfull.

Sure, events like UKM etc are great fun - but that's all they are usually seen as - fun (look how many players drink, bbq and stay up most of the night - then expect to play at 9am the next morning!). UK ballers treat events as a party - an excuse to get pi55ed, eat too much, stay up late and get shot the following morning.

Unless UK ballers attitudes change - then UK ball won't.

My 4p worth (inflation).
the catch is that Nexus had 7 boys from SA play ( team reapers from SA ) for Nexus in the first event ,so with the locked rosters ?

jj igotcha

Apr 20, 2005
edge of reason
Visit site
tiger jedi said:
As other people have stated this is a Nexus/NPPL thread i used the Tigers as a example of what can happen. I dont want to open a hugh can of worms on a public forum nor do i wish to discuss the whole Tigers thing with strangers or whoever, not being rude but it is a private matter & something that i am not quite over yet.

So lets just say in my opinion UK paintball has gone way down in terms of quailty teams:( Maybe one day if i find out who you are i will give you a little insight into the logistics of trying to play in Europe & US Major tourneys, believe me unless you are a millionare its virtually impossible to do or at least sustaine.
wasn't looking to stir anything up, i didn't realise it was a sore point with you. i run a company carrying out servicing across europe and i'm well aware what a headache it can be arranging hotels, travel and equipment being in the right place at the right time.
but the point now is are nexus heading into the same waters as the tigers did last year with wholesale roster changes (if it is true jamie and tommy have left? first i had heard) because as i understood it the tigers started this season with an unrecognisable squad from last year because for whatever reason some guys left. i was told that they had a couple of semi-retired pros (no offence sponge), a couple of kidz/young gunz players and some new guys who although were promising had very limited experience and that is why there CPL results have not been that good, ( not critiscising, these guys are better players than i ever could of dreamed to have been ) but they have suffered from a lack of big tournaement experience. is robbo's recruitment drive aimed at players with no top level experience or are they planning to raid the best UK teams for players who have already played at the top level ie nppl or cpl to rebuld the team so that they mantain a CPL spot next year.
i have a geuine wish to see UK ball progress, but if the tigers get relegated and nexus have to rebuild with inexperienced players, they could be in a similar position this time next year and wouldn't that would be detrimental to the prospects of any uk team hitting top spot in euro paintball?

Sid_Clan

What's the point!!!
Sep 13, 2005
God's Country
www.a1paintball.org
Robbo said:
Sid, I ain't decided what I am gonna do for sure but rest assured mate, I ain't got no problem with any jocks playing if they are good enough, just as long as it ain't you know who :)

Oh come on Robbo it was one night.....and I said I'm sorry.....give me another chance ;)

Sid_Clan

What's the point!!!
Sep 13, 2005
God's Country
www.a1paintball.org
sabianfan said:
its amazing how many good young talent is trapped in teams that are going nowhere, there are many players trapped in teams that just play the masters/pa and never train.
No disrespect to these teams or tournaments, they may see it as a laugh but im sure there are many young players who could go far if they joined a team that takes it a bit more seriously.

you are exactly right raffles, places like d7's and northern quarter (although i havent been there before) are the only places where players can train against top teams and thus improve. Too many teams train with people at a similar level, with this you dont push yourself to play better.
You know what Sab, I have just been accused of stopping the progression of Scottish Paintball for actually giving the very people you are talking about the chance to progress and join the Clan(Scottish equivalent to NeXus LOL, don't burst a blood vessel Robbo)!!!!!!

I agree, Robbo, open the doors mate and give everyone a chance who wants it....

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Sid_Clan said:
You know what Sab, I have just been accused of stopping the progression of Scottish Paintball for actually giving the very people you are talking about the chance to progress and join the Clan(Scottish equivalent to NeXus LOL, don't burst a blood vessel Robbo)!!!!!!

I agree, Robbo, open the doors mate and give everyone a chance who wants it....
The whole ethos of the original Nexus was to take home grown talent and train it up to become world class, that was actually achieved in its first year.

I honestly believe I could do it again with the players we have in this country because all I would need is about 10 committed guys who were willing to listen and work hard.

I have had emails telling me of some great young talent that we have around the country and if I decide to go ahead with it, then I will be going around the UK (and even Scotland :) ) to have a look at them.

I did it once, I could do it again, what remains for me is to decide, is it what I want and does it fit in with the lifestyle I now have.

Sid, when I decide, I'll let ya know mate, in fact, I'll call you first :)

H

Wizard, of sorts...
Feb 27, 2002
Nottingham, England
www.ministryofcake.net
With the new team only playing in europe i'd assume pete? Because things going the way they are there is little chance of nexus playing NPPL pro and semi-pro would probably be even more a drain of time, resources and (lots of) money.

mikey601

F orum Battle Organiser
Nov 23, 2005
South Wales/Cali
www.myspace.com
Robbo said:
The whole ethos of the original Nexus was to take home grown talent and train it up to become world class, that was actually achieved in its first year.

I honestly believe I could do it again with the players we have in this country because all I would need is about 10 committed guys who were willing to listen and work hard.

I have had emails telling me of some great young talent that we have around the country and if I decide to go ahead with it, then I will be going around the UK (and even Scotland :) ) to have a look at them.

I did it once, I could do it again, what remains for me is to decide, is it what I want and does it fit in with the lifestyle I now have.

Sid, when I decide, I'll let ya know mate, in fact, I'll call you first :)

Dont forget the welsh :p

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
TheBroz said:
With the new team only playing in europe i'd assume pete? Because things going the way they are there is little chance of nexus playing NPPL pro and semi-pro would probably be even more a drain of time, resources and (lots of) money.

Harry, there is no chance of us playing semi-pro in the US as that makes no sense whatsoever in terms of where the team needs to be going and also as you rightly mention, the consequent drain on resources.

Last year I wrote somewhere that the destiny of all European teams was to play in the Millennium exclusively, the present arrangement makes no real sense in terms of geography and world paintbal but our sport hasn't sufficiently matured into any coherent form of regional representation whereby teams like Joy and Legion (and prevoiusly Nexus) could focus primarily on Europe.

Perhaps that will all come later but for the time being, my choices have just been restricted to Europe only and in all honesty, if I choose to go ahead with it, Nexus will be a much better team in concentrating on one format only.

Take it easy H.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
mikey601 said:
Dont forget the welsh :p

Mikey, believe it or not, the experience of having had makd, the famous brainless Jock on Nexus, hasn't put me off having other home nationals on board.
If I hold trials, and you are good enough then you would get in, even if you are Welsh, and that goes for the two, or four legged varieties.
:)