Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Credit crunch

G

Gassy

This thread makes me feel a tinge of guilt for getting 75 hours overtime in last month,or then again maybe it doesn't:p.

newboy

Down but not out.
Feb 15, 2006
Hereford
Visit site
I'm in the market to get my own place soon, so when 2010 comes and everything has dropped as much as it will, I'll be saving myself a ton.

2010= next year? :confused: Do you really predict such a huge downfall(saving yourself a ??"ton"??) in the property market in 12-18 months?

Ahdinko

Team Apocalypse.
Jun 12, 2006
Stevenage, Hertfordshire
Yup. We've lost what, near on 9% in the past year? I've seen alot of predictions of a higher drop throughout 2009. 25-30% off house prices is a decent amount, instead of paying out £200,000 for a house, I'll be paying £140,000.

Edit: Plus that 9% is the national average. The area which I will be buying in has been hit harder than the average figure.

Edit edit: The final figures for 2008 have been crunched. My area fell by 16.6% for 2008.
Roll on 2009!

Pmr Man

otherwise known as Bing!
Apr 24, 2008
satans layby- MILTON KEYNES
i wish i could comment and fully say my views but i can't becaus i'm still in my earlyish teens nd don't have a job.... yet.

Anyway, from what i've seen (my mum works in redundency counciling for big firms so i know a litle bit). it seems banks, builders and speciality/ expensive things e.g. kitchens, are the worst hit. it also seems many big companies are trying to ride it out and laying off all the non- essentail staff.
As for the newspapers they make every single factor of life seem as bad as the building sector etc. which has an effect of the mindset i.e. "i might not treat myself and get a..."
if there is spelling errors i'm sorry

Game

Doing men things to men in the woods atm
Nov 21, 2004
Dereham,Norfolk
mmm credit crunch ?? recession more like the country is in meltdown

but then on the plus side loving all the sales at the shops and the 2.49% interest rate iam paying atm plus since its global fuel prices are on the fall big time untill Gordon racks up the tax again that is

Game

Doing men things to men in the woods atm
Nov 21, 2004
Dereham,Norfolk
Yup. We've lost what, near on 9% in the past year? I've seen alot of predictions of a higher drop throughout 2009. 25-30% off house prices is a decent amount, instead of paying out £200,000 for a house, I'll be paying £140,000.

Edit: Plus that 9% is the national average. The area which I will be buying in has been hit harder than the average figure.
anouther thing to note is the gap between say a 2 bedroom semi and a 3 bedroom detached will be smaller say it was 50k now it might be 30k

seen it before when i got my first house to go from one to the other was only a gap of 15k-20k

so as long as you stay in equity moving up the housing chain will be a lot easyer for people who allready own property no matter how low the prices drop

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
I did hear that banks also put a hold on tracker mortgages, not surprising considering the bank of england's rates are stupidly low at the moment.
The reason is that the actual interbank rate is considerably higher than the Bank of England (BOE) rate. As the banks finance themselves daily (at the interbank rates), the actual cost of funding is higher hence BOE trackers would mean losing money. This difference in rates makes the Govt and Bank of England's only tool to manage inflation (and cost of money) quite ineffective.

The decline in credit quality of many of the banks (due to suspect asset valuation methods - cough Lehman Brothers cough), also increases the spread they have to pay to borrow money, hence this gets past onto the customer (or they slash lending).

As the economy is pretty much built on Credit, the ongoing supply of it has to be a top priority for the government (hence selective bailouts). The banks getting bailed out didn't cause the credit crunch, but are victims of it.

As too the "twonks" responsible, it's not the stock market traders but a failure by Govt and the Regulators to properly monitor, control or even understand the banks / investment houses.

What impact all this has on Panitball is not easy to tell, it maybe that Paintball (some areas) actually does alright out of it. If it's seen as a good day out and customer sites deliver positive customer experience then people will still spend 50 quid a day out rather than 2 or 300 at the races / go karting / sailing / whatever.